Spicy Paqui's 'One Chip Challenge' Pulled From Shelves After Death Of A Teenager

Spicy Paqui 'One Chip Challenge' pulled from shelves after the death of a teenager in Massachusetts, United States passed away after taking part in TikTok's viral challenge, 'One Chip Challenge'. The teenage boy was 14 years old.

The 'One Chip Challenge' is a challenge to eat spicy chips from one of the snack manufacturers in the United States called Paqui. The chips are flavored with the hottest chili peppers in the world, namely the Carolina Reaper and Dragon Viper.

The Paqui One Chip Challenge comes in a box in the shape of a coffin with a skull and snake on the front that says it’s one extremely hot tortilla chip. But you can’t find it in stores anymore after it was pulled from shelves Friday morning after several people needed medical attention after eating the chips. (Photo: CNN)

The product should only be consumed by adults, as stated on the packaging. However, not a few teenagers took part in this challenge, one of which was Harris Wolobah.

Harris took part in the 'One Chip Challenge' while at school. Unfortunately, after eating the chips, Harris was unconscious. The school contacted Harris' mother.

Harris was taken to a local hospital for the incident and pronounced dead. His death is still being investigated by the medical examiner.

"The family (victim) suspects that Wolobah's death occurred due to complications due to the 'One Chip Challenge'," as quoted from USA Today, Friday, September 8, 2023.

Chips Withdrawn from Circulation

As a result of this incident, the manufacturer withdrew all its products from the market. The spicy chips product was also withdrawn from sale due to the large number of teenagers consuming it.

These foods should only be consumed by adults who are not pregnant, who do not have health problems, and who are not sensitive to spicy foods.

Also, read: Burger King sued over the size of Whoppers.

"We care about all our customers and have made the decision to withdraw products from the market," Paqui spokeswoman Kim Metcalfe said.

"We are actively working closely with our retailers and offering refunds for every one-serving product purchase for the 'One Chip Challenge)."

Dangers of Carolina Reaper Consumption

Carolina Reaper is one of the chili peppers used in the seasoning of Paqui spicy chips. It is the hottest chili in the world.

Although Harris' death has not been confirmed to have occurred due to eating Paqui's spicy chips, taking Carolina Reaper can indeed cause serious and rapid damage to the body.

A similar case also occurred in 2018. At that time, a man from the United States consumed a Carolina Reaper at a chili-eating contest. He then experienced a severe headache and was immediately rushed to the emergency department.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel