“Gudeg” … Who doesn’t know “gudeg” ?. As one of Jogjakarta’s legendary culinary icons in Indonesia, it feels less like it, if you visit Jogjakarta City you haven’t enjoyed the culinary. “Gudeg Jogja” is a Jogjakarta City specialty made from young jackfruit ingredients and processed chicken meat, which has been formulated with special spices to make this food a delicious culinary delicacy that every Jogjakarta visitor likes.
As one of the typical culinary offerings of Jogja, of course there are a lot of “gudeg” culinary that can be chosen by food lovers to fulfill the nostalgic taste of the young jackfruit. Gudeg is usually enjoyed along with rice added with chicken opor dishes, besides being able to be eaten in place. Gudeg can now also be brought as souvenirs for families at home.
Local Food Bank Finder of “Gudeg Yu Djum”
Enjoying culinary “gudeg” in his hometown of Jogjakarta indeed gives its own sensation. Plus, there are a lot of famous choices in the city of Jogjakarta. But among many gudeg choices, one of them is a legendary gudeg, namely “Gudeg Yu Djum”, it’s easy to have many branches in the city of Jogjakarta, one of the famous branches is on Jalan Wijilan, so warm is also called “Gudeg Wijilan”, because located on Street of Wijilan No. 167, Wijilan, Jogjakarta. Open from 06.00 AM to 10:00 PM.
However, because of the location where we stayed on Dagen Street in the Malioboro area, we enjoyed this “Gudeg Yu Djum” at the Gudeg Yu Djum outlet in Malioboro, located on Street of Dagen No. 2C Jogjakarta. The location is very easy to reach and is also located in a shophouse and close to Malioboro tourist attractions.
Gudeg Yu Djum is very well-known, especially with the development of technology, you can take advantage of the delivery services with existing applications. But if you want to visit Gudeg Yu Djum directly, it is not a problem, because as a culinary lover, it is not enough if you haven’t enjoyed culinary offerings on the spot. There are 8 (eight) Gudeg Yu Djum branches spread in Jogjakarta, including the following:
- Gudeg Yu Djum Wijilan, located on Wijilan Street No. 31 Jogjakarta.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Malioboro, on Dagen Street No. 2C Jogjakarta.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Jokteng, located on Mayjen Sutoyo Street No. 60 Jogjakarta.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Jakal, on Kaliurang Street, Km. 5 Koncoran Gang Sri Katon 2 Jogjakarta.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Mataram Sewer Center, on Kaliurang Km 4.5 Karang Asem Street, CTIII / 06 Mbarek, Sleman, Jogjakarta.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Center Adi Sucipto, Laksda Adi Sucipto Street KM 8.7 Jogjakarta (Next to Sheraton Hotel).
- Gudeg Yu Djum Sambilegi, Laksda Adisucipto Street, Km 9 Number 6A, Sambilegi, Kalasan, Sleman.
- Gudeg Yu Djum Wates Road Center, on Wates Road Km. 5.5 Ambarketawang, Gamping, Sleman, Jogjakarta.
Ethical Eats Local Food Finder
As one of the legendary culinary delights of Jogja, Gudeg Yu Djum is a culinary specialty that only sells gudeg, which was pioneered by Mrs. Djuwariyah, commonly known as “Yu Djum”, who started her business by opening a gudeg shop on Wijilan Street in 1950 and died on November 14, 2016, at the age of 87 years. Starting a business since the age of 17 years, making the business foundation of Gudeg Yu Djum very strong and not wrong if it becomes legendary today.
“Gudeg Yu Djum”, is a typical culinary icon of Jogja, and for making delicious gudeg, fresh from young jackfruit (or commonly called gori), the ingredients are taken from the Prembun area. From the information, this young jackfruit from Prembun is very suitable to be made as raw material for gudeg, because this young jackfruit will not be easily crushed even though it is cooked for a long time. Gudeg is cooked in the traditional way, which is cooked using firewood and added with special spices from Yu Djum. It takes a long time to make this delicious dish. The brown color of gudeg beans come from teak leaves which are cooked together with young jackfruit.
Local Food Pantry Finder of Gudeg Jogja
Gudeg is usually served with a variety of side dishes, including chicken and duck eggs that have been spiced gudeg, tofu tempe bacem, plus spicy chili sauce and the main one is Prembun’s original jackfruit (gori). There are various warm variants that can be chosen to enjoy, namely: (Source: https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudeg)
- Wet gudeg, which is gudeg, served with a thin “areh” (areh is thick coconut milk broth).
- Dry gudeg, which is gudeg served with thick areh.
- Solo Gudeg, which is a gudeg white area.
There are a lot of menu choices offered “Gudeg Yu Djum”, including dos rice packages, besek packages and kendil packages.
For the dos package, there are 16 kinds of packages that can be selected, namely:
- Gudeg rice with tofu or tempeh.
- Gudeg rice with chicken eggs.
- Gudeg rice with tofu chicken eggs.
- Gudeg rice with lower chicken thighs.
- Gudeg rice with chicken wings.
- Gudeg rice with top chicken thighs.
- Gudeg rice with chicken breast.
- Gudeg rice with eggs and chicken wings.
- Gudeg rice with eggs and lower chicken thighs.
- Gudeg rice with chicken gizzard liver.
- Gudeg rice with chicken eggs and liver.
- Gudeg rice with topped egg and chicken thighs.
- Gudeg rice with eggs and chicken breast.
- Gudeg Rice with chicken head.
- Gudeg rice with eggs and chicken head.
- Gudeg rice with thinly sliced eggs and chicken.
For besek packages there are 3 types of packages, namely:
- Besek gudeg contents: 2 chicken eggs, 1 lower chicken thigh, and 1 chicken gizzard liver.
- Besek gudeg contents: 4 chicken eggs and 1 chicken breast.
- Besek gudeg contents: 4 chicken eggs, 1 chicken breast, 1 chicken head and 1 chicken wing.
For kendil packages, there are 5 packages to choose from, including:
- Kendil gudeg contents: 5 chicken eggs, 1 chicken breast and 1 top chicken thigh.
- Kendil gudeg contents: 6 chicken eggs, ½ tail chicken.
- Kendil gudeg contents: 10 eggs and ½ tail chicken.
- Kendil gudeg contents: 5 eggs and 1 chicken.
- Kendil gudeg contents: 10 eggs and 1 chicken.
There is a difference between the gudeg sauce and the gudeg kendil, which is actually different only from the content and packaging. But the advantage of choosing this Gudeg Kendil is because the Gudeg Kendil is made from burned clay making like a cauldron, and aims to make it warm for up to 5 days without being heated.
After spending time enjoying tourist attractions, at night you can enjoy typical culinary offerings of Jogja at night. With prices per serving starting at Rp. 9,000, you can enjoy the deliciousness of this typical Jogja gudeg, even for besek or kendil packaging, you can get it starting from Rp. 45,000 to Rp. 115.00. With a lot of gudeg menu choices, make friends can choose to accord to their tastes and desires.
With pleasure and a part of Indonesian cuisine, culinary should be maintained to maintain this gudeg culinary wealth.